The Science behind Binchotan
KURO-Bō Activated Charcoal (Binchotan) has undergone rigorous scientific testing*, affirming its successful capacity for:
- toxin, chemical and bacterial adsorption and removal from contaminated water
- balancing an acidic pH of spiked water
- enriching tap water with beneficial essential minerals
*Performed by A.L. Abbot & Associates, SANAS-accredited specialists in Water Treatment – Reg. No. 82/04379/07 - The report can be viewed here.
THE PROCESSThe rapid heating and cooling of the carbonisation process, and the resulting enlargement of the hardwood’s million’s internal pores, is what enables the KURO-Bō Activated Charcoal to adsorb toxins:
- At a microscopic level, it attracts the positively-charged toxins and metals (chlorine, mercury and lead) and then attaches those toxins onto itself, thereby removing the harmful elements from the water
- Adsorption is what makes ordinary, municipal-treated tap water taste so much cleaner and more delicious
- A single gram of activated charcoal can have a surface area of up to 1500m2 – essentially 6 times the surface area of a tennis court – which is why it can so efficiently adsorb as many toxins as it does!
- Each KURO-Bō Stick or pack of Kōins reaches a saturation point at about 3-6 months of daily use.
Keep the pores open and surface area maximised for optimal toxin adsorption maximised
Do not allow adsorbed toxins and impurities back into the water, nor when it is recycled as a biochar